[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Physics for scientists and engineers chapter 3 q 50

Question related to physics are posted here

Moderator: ChangBroot

Forum rules
To type int use \`int\` and the same way to type sqrt simply type \`sqrt\` or Please view the examples forum.

As you type, live preview is displayed so you know exactly what are you typing.

Postby Integr88 » Thu 05 May, 2011 06:37

Sand moves without slipping at 6.0 m/s down a conveyer that is tilted at 15°. The sand enters a pipe 3.0 m below the end of the conveyer belt, as shown in FIGURE P4.50.
What is the horizontal distance d between the conveyer belt and the pipe?
Integr88

Re: Physics for scientists and engineers chapter 3 q 50

Postby barnamah » Thu 05 May, 2011 06:46

Because the sand moves at 15° angle, we have x component and y component. As we want to find the distance between the conveyer belt and the bottom of the pipe which is located 3m bellow the canveyer belt, we need to find the horizontal distance d which is the x distance.
we have:

Initial velocity 6.0m/s
`V_0=6.0m/s`
setting the center of the conveyer belt at 0 in our x and y axis the( please view the image)
x initial `x_i=0m`
x final `x_f`=? we want to find
y initial `y_i=3m`
y final `y_f=0m`
the angle 15° `theta=15°`

1) we find the horizontal velocity `v_(ix)=v*costheta=6.0*cos(15)=5.8m/s`
2)We find vertical velocity `v_(iy)=v*sintheta=6.0*sin(15)=1.6m/s` and velocity due to gravity 8.9m/`s^2` is added to this velocity. Using formula
`y_f=y_i-v_(iy)*Δt-1/2a_yΔt^2` EQ1
`y_f=0m`
`y_i=3m`
`v_(iy)=1.6m/s`
`a_y=-9.8m/s^2`

substitute the above values in EQ1 we have:
`0=3-1.6*Δt-1/2(9.8)Δt^2`
`0=3-1.6*Δt-4.9Δt^2`
This is now a quadratic equation and it is the same as `-4.9x^2-1.6x+3=0` and solving for x. So we solve for t.
Solving for t we get t=-0.96 and t=0.63 out of 2 values the -0.96 is not valid because of the negative time so we use t=0.63s

We can use vertical velocity (velocity in y direction) to find out how long it took to reach to the ground.

`Δt=0.63s` so it takes the sand to reach to the ground in 0.63s. So this is the same time for x direction for the sand to travel the distance d which we call it `x_f`

Using this value we can use `x_f=x_i+v_(ix)*Δt` we can find the `x_f`
`x_f=x_i+v_(ix)*Δt`
`x_f=0+5.8*0.63`
`x_f=3.654m`

`:.` the distance d is 3.654m
Attachments
physics_04_50.png
physics_04_50.png (11.55 KiB) Viewed 2979 times
Explore and know. That is asked.
barnamah

Return to Physics